This kind of weather makes me crave warm foods, especially soups. Honestly as a kid I was known to be a “soup lover.” Sometimes I really think I can survive on just soup (and green smoothies lol).
This simple yet delicious soup will keep your taste buds satisfied and your body warm. Not to mention that broccoli is a beauty food, containing a high level of vitamin C and A. Enjoy
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- rind of one medium lemon
- Extra full-fat coconut milk to garnish
- Hemp seeds and chili flakes to garnish
In a frying pan heat the olive oil on medium heat. Sauté the diced onion until translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. While the onion is cooking, in a medium pot bring the 2 cups of water to a boil. Turn the heat to low. Using a steamer add the broccoli and cover with a lid.
3. Let the broccoli steam for about 12 minutes until it is tender and bright green. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the vegetable broth and the coconut milk to a high-speed blender along with the onion, broccoli, ginger, slat, and pepper.
5. Blend on high for 2 minutes until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy.
6. Adjust the seasoning at this point.
7. Heat the soup in the same pot as the broccoli was cooking in earlier. Serve hot with a splash of coconut milk, sprinkle of hemps seeds, chili flakes, and a generous amount of lemon rinds.
The leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days